Monday, August 31, 2020

"The Hunt for the Doctor" - Part One

 

Part One

            Anyone who knows me well enough would realize that being hunted by some dangerous psychopaths is like a walk in the park for me. Whether it’s Daleks, Sontarans, or even the Master, I was always prepared for the worst predators. But this was literally new territory for me. This was a hunt inside the infinite dimensional corridor (“Infinite D.C.” for short).


            I initially told Yaz, Ryan, and Graham that I needed the help of the Gladiator of Gallifrey – a Time Lord fluent in multiversal (not a word, I know) matters. She (sometimes he) went by many names in association with the faces they regenerated with; but the synonymous one – the one they were born with – was “Neas.”

            I needed Neas’s help now more than ever, especially after what I discovered when I made an attempt in recruiting any Ninja Turtles in whatever dimension I could find to help. Shredder and Krang must’ve known that would be my first thought, ‘cause every dimension that we went with a team of turtle ninjas was eviscerated.

            Neas was my only hope.

            I was fortunate enough to be familiar with the inner-workings of Neas’s Type-Z model TARDIS. Aznavorian (Neas’s father) once shared the schematics with me when we were kids back on Gallifrey. Using this knowledge, I had my TARDIS make a trans-dimensional scan for Neas’s. Not exactly a quick-and-easy feat, since my TARDIS isn’t properly equipped for interdimensional travel. It takes a great deal just to reach Gallifrey within the pocket universe I put it in.

            When I did finally make contact, we saw a little boy on the monitor…a little boy who I became well-acquainted with many lives before. “Well, bless me! Craig Williams!” I exclaimed. “Been a long time since we saw each other on Abydos.”

            He cringed at me through what I assumed to be his smartphone. “Do I know you?”

            Of course, he wouldn’t have. When Craig last saw me, I was a man with puffy white hair and an inverness cape. “Oh, right,” I realized my mistake by then. “It’s me. The Doctor. Neas’s friend. Remember?”

            His little face lit on the monitor. “Oh, right! You’re the one who blew up that alien pyramid ship yesterday!”

            “You blew up an alien pyramid?” I heard the surprised Graham ask behind me.

            “Yes, I did. Now hush. I’m havin’ a conversation with an old friend.” I brazenly told him before returning my attention to Craig. “I’d really love to catch up with ya, Craig, but I really need to talk to Neas.”

            “You just missed him,” Craig told me (not the news that I wanted to hear). “We had a family barbecue at my house. He said it’s gonna be the last one he’d have there. Do you know what he meant by that? He didn’t really look so good, come to think of it. His skin was almost like it was glowing. And then there was this huge biker guy and this kid with him. And even you were…”

            I didn’t want to be rude and interrupt him as he was so eagerly explaining Neas’s whole visit – which sounded to be on the verge of his regeneration – but these were dire times. It turned out that I didn’t have to say anything, because Craig got right to the point and said, “Anyways, he told me that you’d call me for help, shortly after you guys finished the war.”

            Now it was my turn to cringe. “War? What war?”

            I realized only after the fact what war he was talking about. I heard about it in most of the lives that I met Neas in. I won’t go into the details about it. Just know that it’s a war that would continue to haunt Neas more than the Time War ever haunted me – and it seems as if I’ll have a part to play in it, sooner or later.

            “On second thought, never mind about that,” I quickly told Craig. “I’m bringin’ my TARDIS to your world right now. Just let me lock onto your location through your phone.”

            I worked my magic and materialized the TARDIS out of the dimensional corridor and into Craig’s reality. We arrived in a clearing, surrounded by forestation. Craig was standing there, mouth gaping open in awe with his phone in hand, when we stepped out of the box. As soon as he got over the shock, he opened his arms wide and jubilantly said, “Welcome to the creek!”

            “Glad to be here!” I told him before I introduced him to Ryan, Yaz, and Graham.

            “Where’s your other friend? That nice girl?” Craig asked, referring to Jo Grant (my “assistant” back in my U.N.I.T. days).

            “She’s…somewhere happy.” Truthfully, I only hoped Jo was just that. Last I saw her, she appeared to be living happily.

            Once we got past all the pleasantries, we went to business.

            Neas kept Craig well-informed on what to do in the event that I reached out to him for help. He gave the lad dimensional coordinates that he instructed him to pass over to me. “He said they’d take you to some people called the ‘Power Rangers’,” Craig said.

            Another team of childhood superheroes that Ryan and Yaz were more than familiar with. “Oh, my days!” the former cheered like a giddy child. “First, we got to meet the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, now we’re gonna meet the Power Rangers?! I had the biggest crush on Kimberly when I was a kid!”

            “It was Jason for me,” Yaz shared in his overexcitement.

            Graham, on the other hand, was a bit annoyed. “When we gonna meet real heroes, like Danger Mouse or Paddington?”

            “Ooh! I’d love to meet Paddington one day!” I professed, momentarily distracted from the task at hand. When I got my focus again, I used my sonic to download the coordinates Neas left on Craig’s smartphone (which was super upgraded to connect with Neas’s TARDIS at any time, hence how I managed to call Craig rather than Neas). “Awesome! Thank you again, Craig!” I wanted to hug him, but my fam and I were in too much of a rush.

            Not that we would’ve gotten near my TARDIS had Craig not stopped us to say, “Yeah, uh, before you guys leave, could you maybe…settle a little dispute that we’ve been having here at the creek?”

            I really didn’t have the time to get involved in a children’s quarrel, not with this hunt out for me. But I also didn’t want to leave Craig – a friend of Neas – to deal with a problem that I could’ve easily helped him out with. It was the least I could do after he helped me with these coordinates to the Power Rangers.

            So we followed him to another part of the creek where there were many other children – other residents – gathered for what looked to be some sort of tribunal.

            Except it wasn’t just children gathered there.

            There were also vastly intelligent apes and a species I was well-acquainted with: the Silurians.



No comments:

Post a Comment